Everyday People Matter

Updating Information with the Social Security Administration

| Nov 10, 2015 | Records, Social Security Administration (SSA)

If you have begun receiving disability benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA), the agency will expect you to report changes in your circumstances or conditions. Failure to report to the agency when required to do so could result in penalties, including a temporary suspension of your benefits.

For example, if you plan to begin working, or have begun working, or have started a business, you must report this to SSA, no matter how little you earn. Report details including the hours that you are working, and any work expenses that you are incurring as a result of your disability such as a wheelchair, or assistance getting ready for work.

You must also report to the agency if you become eligible for another type of government benefit, such as workers’ compensation benefits. If you qualify for other types of benefits under federal and state programs, inform the Social Security Administration about these.

Report to the agency if you change your address or your phone number. Also, make sure that SSA is aware when you change banks or open a new bank account. The Social Security Administration must also be notified if there is a change in your name because of marriage or divorce, or if you become the parent of a child after entitlement. You must inform the agency if there is a warrant out for your arrest, or if you’re convicted of any crime.

Remember that the Social Security Administration will access much of this information from other agencies or sources, but it requires you to provide this information to the agency as well.